The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has postponed the 2019 general elections scheduled to begin today till Tuesday February 23rd and March 9th respectively, for logistics reasons.
The new schedule was announced by the Chairman of the commission, Professor Mahmood Yakubu, early Saturday morning after an emergency meeting with security officials, election observers and other political stakeholders.
A credible source in INEC said the postponement is due to the fact that sensitive materials needed for the election are yet to be distributed in some states of the federation.
He also said the Commission is trying to put adequate security measures in places.
However series of facts have emerged for the postponement of the elections which includes the following stated below.
1. Fire incident at 3 INEC STATE Offices (Plateau, Abia and Anambra)
2. Stealing of ballot papers,
3. Arresting opposition figures.
4. Ballot papers for Niger East & Central where-about cannot be traced.
5. Over 10,000 Card Readers between Abia , Plateau and Anambra .
6. Planes carrying sensitive materials cannot land in designated airports due to weather conditions;
7. CBN overwhelmed by logistics.
information have it that there are suggestions of staggering the election while solving the problems of logistics in other state having challenges. however forces opposing to the staggering of the election is more than those supporting it.
In all this INEC had to take a bold decision of postponing the election.